DOES FLEECE FIT YOUR LIFESTYLE?
As with any type of guinea pig bedding, there are advantages and disadvantages to using fleece.
One example is the daily maintenance required to remove poop and other debris. Some people don't mind setting aside time each day to sweep and vacuum for a clean, cavy-friendly living environment. Others prefer being able to simply empty out a cage filled with disposable bedding.
To help you decide, read over our list of pros and cons when considering if fleece is right for you.
- Safe to use. Fleece won't irritate sensitive cavy eyes, skin, or respiratory system.
- Gentle on piggy feet.
- Reusable. Fleece can be washed and reused over and over again. The same goes for certain absorbent materials used underneath, such as towels or furniture pads.
- Can be decorated. With so many colors and fun prints available you can personalize your pig's cage to your liking.
- Saves money long term. Costs less than continuing to repurchase disposable bedding.
- Surface stays dry. When prepared properly fleece wicks moisture away from the surface down to the absorbent material below, effectively keeping piggy bottoms dry!
- Easily sized to fit your cage.
- Must be prepared correctly prior to use.
- Must be paired with an absorbent material. For the surface to remain dry, an additional layer is required underneath to absorb liquid.
- Requires daily cleaning. Droppings, discarded hay, and uneaten food accumulate quickly. These must be vacuumed or swept regularly, lest you find your pigs sitting amidst mountainous piles of poo!
- Extra steps may be needed to remove hay or fur.
- Requires regular washer/dryer access.
- Initial cost of purchasing bedding sets.
Have any more to add? Share with us below!