When it comes to the pigs' health I tend to be cautious and overprepared. I even have my vet on speed dial listed right after the piggy dad. Along those lines, I've made sure to keep a well-stocked supply of medical essentials readily available in case of an emergency.
Here's a look at our guinea pig health kit, separated into first aid essentials and grooming supplies.
FIRST AID ESSENTIALS
- Kitchen scale - to track weight
- Heating pad - to keep body temperature warm
- Simethicone infant gas relief drops - helps relieve gas buildup
- Syringe: Monoject 412 curved tip, 12 cc - for syringe feeding Critical Care
- Syringe: Monoject luer slip, 1mL (no needle) - for syringe feeding water or medication
- Oxbow Critical Care, apple banana flavor - syringe feeding formula for when your pig loses his/her appetite
- Towels - to wrap your guinea pig in
- Nail trimmers, sizes large and small
- Pet safe shampoo
- Cotton balls and swabs
- Scissors - for trimming knots or long fur
- Coconut oil, extra virgin - for cleaning your pig's grease gland
Of course, this list of supplies is in no way intended to replace veterinary advice. If your pet is sick or injured, seek help from a qualified guinea pig experienced vet immediately.
Tell us - what's in your cavy first aid kit?