Abby-Roo says Happy Independence Day! While you're out enjoying the festivities, don't forget about your piggies. Like many other pets they have sensitive hearing and can easily be spooked by fireworks, car alarms, or other loud noises.
FIREWORKS SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR GUINEA PIG
- Keep your cavy indoors with the windows closed
- Provide a quiet space away from evening festivities
- Give them a familiar pigloo, cozy, or hut to retreat to
- Drape a cover over their cage
- Provide ambient noise. Everyday household sounds such as TV, or music can help soothe and distract them so sudden booms aren't quite as startling.
- Check on them after you return home. Cuddles, treats, and hugs help reassure your guinea that everything is fine. Veggies make the world go round! Well, the piggy world at least.
Do you have any tips to share for keeping your pigs calm during the fireworks?